Friday 7 November 2008

what a shame!

As you may already know, I was at the Obama Rally on Tuesday night. A sense of pride took over me, even if I'm not an American, even though I didn't directly contribute to this historical moment, I'm incredibly proud of people, every single one of you who voted for him, every single one of you who may be afraid of change, embraced this, allow this to take place in our lifetime, a change that would lead the country to a better place.

Everyone is watching this election. When I was in Europe over the summer, 8 out of 10 people I've met, be it the taxi drivers, that random dude at the bus stop, the lady next to me in the train, everyone wants to talk American politics. They were so excited and were pouring out every single bit of information they have, proud to be knowledgeable on the subject. People from Malaysia were bombarding me with questions.

A lot of Americans cannot even fathom the effect this will have on the whole world. The butterfly effect this will have on a global scale cannot be denied. Yes, he is no Messiah, he is no God, he is no prophet, he will need all the help he can get to realize his ideals. But, this is a stepping stone, an extremely significant one indeed.

I came across an article and to be honest, I've wondered this since I was a little girl. Can a non-Malay, non-Muslim be the Prime Minister of Malaysia?

If not, why? Are the Chinese and Indians considered immigrants still? Are we not all "Malaysians?" After all these time, after all the contributions non-Malays have to this country, after all the bull shit that says "we are Malaysians, we live in harmony, unlike any other countries in the world, three different races under one roof, we are like no other nation in the world," blah blah blah...

Here's the article.
Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi told reporters late Wednesday that it was possible Malaysia could have a non-Malay leader, saying "it is up to the people to decide."

No comments: