Wednesday 16 April 2008

Passion... a risky business?

Today's series of events was a little overwhelming for me, I have to admit. The motion for a vote of no confidence against Dean Lee, the Dean of College of Arts and Sciences for the University of Toledo was passed 42 to 7.

We don't know what's going to happen next. But according to David Davis, professor of political science and chairman of the College of Arts and Sciences Council, "Ultimately, we want [Dean Lee] to resign."

That happened in the afternoon. At night, during the Student Government meeting, the issue was mentioned again. The student senators unanimously agreed.

However, my night ended with relentless complaints, rants about how the Student Government Body is not doing their job, which is to stand up for the students of UT and communicate the problems we have to the administrators. Instead, according to this one student, a majority of the student senators are not entirely aware of the changes and stress the faculty members are under and do not understand "what the big deal was all about."

This particular student was often brushed off, probably because he goes on and on about how they (the students) should fight for what is right, to be more vocal about our needs and wants, which many thinks would ultimately "piss the administrators off", which will lead to "dire consequences."

I have to agree, to a certain extent, people don't want to hear all that. As the conversation went on, I can't deny the feeling of helplessness and sucked into the depressing state the university is in and how nobody cares about it.

I saw the passion in his eyes. That reminds me of how and what I was before, before getting slapped into reality and before realizing that passion just doesn't cut it. In the real world, you have to be manipulative, play the right cards, with the right people, at the right time.

Passion is what drives people. But it can also scare people away when they sensed that such passion is overwhelming, and incomprehensible to a certain extent. It can take over everything you've worked for to be who you are today, and cloud your ability to differentiate what is right and wrong, and what is generally acceptable or considered "sane" decision-makings.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that being passionate is not my role anymore, and I have to admit, it's a challenge[to be passionate, that is]. I've settled with just reporting, presenting all sides to a story and giving justice to the people who deserves it, using the channels available to me, to inform people about what's going on. Ultimately, it's up to the people whether to take action and fight for their rights, or sit back, relax , until it comes back and bite them in the arse.

** I need to get away from all these madness. I'm looking forward to the backpacking trip this weekend at the Zaleski State Forest with Eric P, and perhaps Dave H too?

No comments: