Wednesday 4 June 2008

Day 27 - Berlin

I got off the plane at about 11p.m. on Saturday, then took the bus, then the subway to meet Thies (couchsurfing host #5) - by the time I got there was midnight - he was having a pint of beer and reading the book "The Tender Bar".

Anyways, at first the subway map was a little confusing - but thanks to the help of my first hot-German-guy encounter, I found my way to Sudstern metro stop.

I don't remember his name but that encounter was the first of many hot Germans. Honestly I've never heard that German guys are hot... I was really surprised... pleasantly surprised... lol

It was Thies' first couchsurfing experience - I was a little pressured because I didn't want to scare him away from hosting more.. but anyways - he's a journalist for Spiegal online and he did a story on Couchsurfing last year! What a cool way to find out about it!

His apartment is just around the corner from the subway station in Kreusberg - which is really convenient. It's a cute little apartment and he has cool artwork and quirky stuff all over the place... that apartment definitely has character...

It was about 1.30 a.m. and we were still chatting...about life... well I don't remember really - then, he taught me how to make this amaying sandwich - with hot mustard, German cheese, ham, ketchup, corn and tomatoes. S0o0o goood!!!!! and a glass of red wine with it, of course!

By the time I was in bed, it was 3 a.m. He kept insisting that the couch was too short for everybody - I managed to prove him wrong. I fit perfectly in it - Yeah I know, I'm short!

In the morning, I went to the Burdenburg Gate - and there was a huge carnival goin on, the Holocaust Memorial, Potsdamer Plats - which is a really building with stores and the Sony Center in it - there were a lot of cool cafes in the area too! Then I went to the DDR Musuem - I think that was the best museum I've ever been to in my life! It was like being in a scene in "Blast from the Past" with actually setting of a living room during the DDR period, real stuff that people used and just really interactive ways in learning about the history ...

I was going to go to the Museum Islands but it was a lil late for that... I hung around for a little bit and head home... Oh how can I forget this? I had the most amaying ice-cream here in Berlin and it's so cheap too!!

For dinner, Thies brought me to this place and I got a Schwarma dish. It was so0o0 gooood!!! It's a turkish dish with chicken and vegetables - wait for the pictures!!! and a Jever beer, which was brewed in his hometown, up in the north of Germany.

Then we went to the Oberbaum bridge and met another couchsurfer, Sebastien. He seems to be a really cool guy - We went to Yaams, a beach bar by the river. It was perfect! the weather was warm, the wind was blowing and the stars were out. The only thing missing was the moon.

No comments: