Monday 9 June 2008

Day 29 - Still in Berlin

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

First off, I went to the Altes Museum which has Egyptian collection and the Pargemon Museum but before that, I had my first currywurst! It's sausage with ketchup and curry powder! It's really good. Anyways, for the museum entrance fee, it's 6 Euros (student price) for 4 museums! good deal! but I managed to only go to 2 of them. They were cool, there's free audio guide too! so that was really informative... then, I went to Wannsee, which is about 45 minutes away from the city. I went to the Haus der Wannsee Konference, where the Nazi leaders met in 1942 to discuss the “Final Solution.” Today, the house has been converted into a Memorial Museum dedicated to the study of the Holocaust. 
"On January 20, 1942, fifteen high-ranking Nazi party and German government leaders gathered for an important meeting. 

They met in a wealthy section of Berlin at a villa by a lake known as Wannsee.Reinhard Heydrich, who was SS chief Heinrich Himmler's head deputy, held the meeting for the purpose of discussing the "final solution to the Jewish question in Europe" with key non-SS government leaders, including the secretaries of the Foreign Ministry and Justice, whose cooperation was needed.

The "final solution" was the Nazis' code name for the deliberate, carefully planned destruction, or genocide, of all European Jews. The Nazis used the vague term "final solution" to hide their policy of mass murder from the rest of the world. In fact, the men at Wannsee talked about methods of killing, about liquidation, about "extermination.""

I got really emotional... I've learnt so much about the holocaust recently... I put myself in the shoe of one of those Jews, I can't even imagine being sane under those circumstances... 

On the way back, I met a German girl - her English wasn't fluent but she was good enough that I can understand her and we had a good conversation on the way to the metro station..

Next up, I went to Potsdam, where there's a famous castle... and of coz, I couldn't find it... I hung around the metro station instead! it was huge and there was all kinds of food!!!! =)

I bought some strawberries back home and we had it with milk and yoghurt! so good!!!

Julia had to go salsa dancing tonight but she sent me on a mission - a drinking marathon! lol

1st stop 
A bar from featuring everything from Cologne! where she's from and I had a small glass of Kolsh!

2nd stop
Tachales Art House
It's basically a building filled with graffiti everywhere and on the ground floor there were 2 bars... then all the way up are art exhibition.. they were really cool!!!!

3rd stop
Winerei
Where you pay 1 Euro for entrance fee, then drink as much wine as you want, and by the end of the night, just pay however much u think it's worth. I was there at 11 p.m. and they close at midnight. So there wasn't too much to drink. But I drank with 2 German guys - and they were really fun! and at the end of the night, 2 girls, one from Berlin and one from London joined us!

We were gonna go to a club to dance but I didn't wanna get back too late coz I will miss the train and would have to take the bus home... which I really don't wanna do...

IT was a lo0o0o0ong but good day. =)


No comments: