Thursday 12 June 2008

Day 37 - Still in Edinburgh

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I got up reallllly early and went to the cafe at  9 a.m. to go online.. I was really worried because I still haven't found a couch in Dublin... I was there for about an hour then, went to the Royal Mile to join the free tour! My guide is Andy from Oklahoma.. and he was really knowledgeable and funny! I was so glad I didn't get the other guide - no offense to some of you bubbly (American) girls out there... but it was the exact impression of what foreigners have of Americans - ya know... the fake, overly enthusiastic, "skippidy skip", "I love everyone", "the world is perfect" voice, tone, facial expression, body movement... ewww... it was so annoying!

I talked to Jennifer, she's from Cincinnati! yeay Ohio! but anyways, she agreed... she was like I came to Europe to get away from people like that... and now... there's one right in front of us! lol..

During the tour, I met this Australian guy from Adelaide! and thanks to my friends who go there, I kinda impressed him with the little I know about the city.. he seems to be a cool guy... he's traveling for 2 months with this girl... she wasn't too friendly.. I was talking to him and she didn't even come over to say hi! oh well... it's his first time to Europe too and he covered so many more countries than I did... but he only managed to spend usually 2 nights and a day in a city... which was a pity especially for Edinburgh... there's so much to see!!!

After the tour, I went to The Elephant House, the cafe where JK Rowling wrote her first Harry Potter book! How cool is that!! I ordered Haggis, which is a traditional Scottish dish... uncooked, it looks like a ball of sausage, containing sheeps 'pluck' (heart,liver,lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices and salt, mixed with stock and boiled in the sheep's stomach for about 3 hours.

Haggis is not served in that big sausage ball but it's cut open there's so much meat in a ball that it can serve 4 people! I only had one portion and it was huge!! It's served with swede/yellow turnip and potatoes... but that darn cafe ran out of potatoes... how can u run out of potatoes in a cafe.... in Europe! That's all they eat!!

Next, I went to the National Museum again, this time, I had a lil less than an hour... which is definitely not enough but hey it's better than the 10 minutes yesterday. The museum is huge! there's 5 floors but each floor to walk through it takes about 30 minutes, at least... 

At 5 p.m., it was pouring out... dang it...I don't have anything with me! no umbrella, not raincoat, no sweater, no jacket... all I have was the yellow scarf I bought from Amsterdam...

I stopped at a store to get wine and more chicken...and head home. OF course, the rain stopped right before I got into the apartment. 

I cooked and cooked and cooked..... I was a lil worried because Jenny and Niko are so used to food that actually tastes good... I really don't know how they're goin to react to this meal. I don't even know how this happened!? I kinda just mentioned I know how to cook Chicken with brie - wine sauce and scalloped potatoes... next thing I know, I'm in the kitchen, reading of the post it note where I wrote the recipe down.

At 8.30 p.m., we sat down and Jenny had her first bite. "It's good!" yeay! Yeah as it turned out... it was actually really good! I was really impressed with my cooking ability now. It kind of inspired me to buy cookbooks and start cooking when I move into the house with Melissa K, Haleigh, Kelly and Jenna in August. I'm so excited!

No comments: